Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Night in Bogota

A funny thing just happened to me. There I was sound asleep, when all of the sudden, I heard a bang followed by a loud buzzing sound. It took me a second to wake up enough to remember that I was in a hotel room in Bogota, Colombia having just arrived last night. I waited for a moment, hoping the noise would just go away. No luck. What was it? Did someone leave the alarm clock set for the wee hours of the morning? Don't you hate that? I should have checked it before I fell asleep. I located the alarm clock. Nope, that wasn't the culprit. The clock read 3:22 am. It sounded like the noise was coming from my bathroom. I walked back there and started checking everything in the vicinity: the wall-hanging blow dryer and telephone, my shaving kit, an audio feed for the television. Nope; none of those. I was surprised by how loud it was outside. People around here seem to party pretty late (or early, I guess). Still groggy, I checked a few things outside the bathroom: minibar, safe, closet. No, it was definitely coming from the bathroom. It sounded a lot like an electric razor, but my razor was in my shaving kit which I had already checked. Finally, the noise pulsed a couple times and I realized what it was: my electric toothbrush had fallen off the counter and landed on the floor, setting it off. It goes for 60 seconds before it pulses. I couldn't believe it took me a whole minute to solve the mystery, but at least now I could go back to sleep...if only I could figure out why my toothbrush fell off the bathroom counter in the middle of the night.

Don't worry. I feel much safer here than I did on our first night in Honduras.

Escribiré más luego.

No comments: